Table of Contents
UPSC Prelims Syllabus
UPSC Examination 2018 is divided into two stages, i.e the Preliminary Examination and the Main Examination. The Preliminary Examination aims at testing the academic expertise of a candidate and his/her ability to present himself/herself in a coherent and systematic manner. The prelims are designed to assess the overall intellectual traits and understanding ability of the candidate.
According to UPSC Exam pattern 2018, Preliminary Examination consists of two papers of objective type questions. The prelims serve as a screening test only and the marks obtained will not be counted for declaring the final order of merit.
- The Prelims consists of two papers of 200 marks each. UPSC Prelims Syllabus
- Both the question papers are of the objective type (multiple choice questions) of two hours each
- The question papers will be set in both Hindi and English. However, questions related to English Language Comprehension skills would be provided only in English.
Prelims syllabus for paper 1- (200 marks) Duration: 2 hours
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
Prelims syllabus for paper 2- (200 marks) Duration: 2 hours
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
[mlink subhd=”Also Read” link=”https://iasupdates.com/upsc-mains-syllabus-complete-syllabus-1750-marks/”]UPSC Mains Syllabus[/mlink]
Note 1: Paper 2 of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
Note 2: The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type.
Note 3: It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination for the purpose of evaluation. Therefore a candidate will be disqualified in case he/she does not appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) Examination.
Download pdf version of this article.